The ideal candidate will have experience in contracts administration and management of trademark, copyright and patent clearance, registration, and renewal matters. This role requires a high level of attention to detail, strong client services orientation, and excellent follow up and communication skills. The best candidate likely has training received at a larger law firm or other global business, and is smart, highly organized, efficient, thinks creatively, has a positive work attitude, and is comfortable following directions as well as working independently.
- Demonstrates the natural ability to maintain focus, efficiency, and accuracy while preforming task-oriented work.
- Can navigate a fast-paced, high-pressure environment while employing flexibility and quick decision-making skills to meet daily deadlines.
- Highly skilled at communicating in a professional manner with consideration for differences in languages and cultural norms.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage ORB’s in-house systems for tracking status, deadlines and actions due in contract and intellectual property matters;
- Track and assist with trademark clearance searches;
- Assist outside legal counsel with trademark, copyright and patent filings;
- Monitor intellectual property filings and maintain certificates of registration;
- Review and manage all legal correspondence and drafting, including contracts, leases, terms and conditions, licenses, and non-disclosure agreements and the like;
- Litigation support (court filings, litigation holds, evidence collection and management);
- Liaise with intellectual property law firms in North America and Asia;
- Preparation and filing of routine corporate documents, maintain corporate records.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, paralegal studies or equivalent on-the-job experience and proven expertise;
- 4-8 years experience as a Paralegal;
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property clearance, filing, and prosecution practices and rules;
- Ability to work with multiple departments with conflicting and demanding deadlines;
- Flexible and able to adapt to last minute direction and changes with demonstrated ability to work in a creative, fast-paced environment.
Additional Experience Helpful:
- Knowledge of advertising law and privacy law;
- Knowledge of Charter of the French Language in relation to packaging and labels;
- Business French written and spoken;
- Litigation support (court filings, evidence collection and management);
- Knowledge of WebTMS or similar trademark docketing software;
- Experience in enforcement work, cease and desist letters, social media takedowns, trademark investigations, and UDRP domain name dispute proceedings;
- Promotions and advertising experience, including sweepstakes and contests;
- Preparation and management of S. and Canadian copyright filings;
- Knowledge of Customs recordals and other boarder measures to protect intellectual property rights.