The ideal candidate will have experience in a small, but fast-growing international organization, providing strategic high level guidance in regard to: contracts administration and management of trademark, copyright and patent clearance, registration, and renewal matters. This role requires a high level of attention to detail, strong client services orientation, and excellent follow up and communication skills. The ideal candidate will have had training received at a larger law firm or other global business, is highly organized, efficient, thinks creatively, has a positive work attitude, and is comfortable following directions as well as working independently.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with internal teams across the Brands to review products, names, designs and marketing materials, ensuring compliance with trademark and copyright laws;
- Review intellectual property filings, assess risk and provide recommendations to senior stakeholders for which names to register trademark and URLs;
- Liaise with intellectual property law firms in North America and Asia and provide the necessary internal information required for establishing and implementing global trademark filings and enforcement strategies;
- Monitor and protect the company’s valuable intellectual property by drafting cease and desist letters, investigating infringement, and partnering with internal teams on social media and domain name issues;
- In partnership with outside legal counsel, provide litigation support including documentation associated with court filings, litigation holds, evidence collection and management;
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Highly capable of managing a variety of legal activities within a privately own business, while providing effective counsel to the Executive management team;
- Basic knowledge of Intellectual Property clearance, filing, and prosecution practices and rules;
- Ability to work with multiple departments with conflicting and demanding deadlines;
- Flexible and with the ability to adapt to last minute direction and changes with demonstrated ability to work in a creative, fast-paced environment;
- Ability to balance risks associated with internal actions and business decisions to provide recommendations for appropriate actions;
- Demonstrates the ability to distill and clearly explain legal principles and opinions to business partners at all levels;
- Strong organizational, time management, verbal and written communication skills, including presentation and negotiation skills;
- Team player who builds relationships through collaboration, approachability, trust and credibility.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Law;
- 5+ years’ experience in a law firm with a focus on trademark and copyright law is preferred;
- Experience in advertising law is
Additional Beneficial Experience:
- Knowledge of Charter of the French Language in relation to packaging and labels;
- Knowledge of WebTMS or similar trademark docketing software;
- Experience in enforcement work, cease and desist letters, social media takedowns, trademark investigations, and UDRP domain name dispute proceedings;
- Promotions and advertising experience, including sweepstakes and contests;
- Preparation and management of S. and Canadian copyright filings;
- Knowledge of Customs recordals and other border measures to protect intellectual property rights.
Please submit your resume & a cover letter (that highlights how your past experience aligns with our environment) to [email protected].
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.